In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Merciful.
My wife and I have been planning to share some Sunnah inspired treats with the neighbours since we moved into our new neighbourhood a few months ago. Between unpacking and having a baby, we didn’t get down to doing it. Perhaps it was better to wait…
Caring for, sharing with and doing good unto neighbours is a big part of our tradition and also a great social obligation in Islam. There could be no better an opportunity to revive this Sunnah than the month of Ramadan… the month of sharing.
Some of the benefits of Dating your neighbours:
- Most importantly it is a Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and a form of charity – “Save yourself from hellfire by giving even half a date-fruit in charity.” – Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 498
- Emphasises the significance of both sharing and neighbourliness in Islam
- Encourages kids to be generous and teaches good etiquette towards neighbours
- Increased awareness of Islam and Ramadan in particular
- It is a great form of Da’wah and propagation of our beautiful faith
- A good ice-breaker for new neighbours or people new to your area
- It can be a good Ramadan Activity if you get the kids involved
- Facilitates better relations with neighbours
A simple act that could have lasting effects, not to mention the satisfaction and fulfilment from doing something good for the sake of Allah.
Sharing with Muslim neighbours is as easy as delivering a plate of goodies but with non-Muslim neighbours it’s important to share as much information as possible. Here is the note we sent out with our treats:
“Ramadan is a special month of the year for over 1.8 Billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, contemplation, discipline and devotion to God. As we fast and sacrifice food and drink during the daylight hours, we are reminded of those who are less fortunate than us and we are encouraged to be charitable. Ramadan is a month of giving and sharing… Dates are a big part of Ramadan and the Islamic tradition, we’d like to share this delicious and nutritious fruit with you today”.
My wife put together these Cream Cheese filled Date treats and a Free Printable Template which is available here. For more Ramadan treats, kids activities and your very own Ramadan Meal planner, check out Modest Munchies.
May the Blessings of Ramadan be with you.